Wonders of Fenugreek
Fenugreek is a very warming seed that benefits kapha and vata dosha and is used to treat constipation, high cholesterol, diabetes and obesity. They have a strong aroma and are pungent. But when used in small quantities they impart flavour to your food and are nourishing.
Energetics of Fenugreek seeds
Rasa (Taste) – Katu (Pungent)
Guna (Properties) – Laghu (Light), Snigdha (Unctuous)
Virya (Potency) – Ushna (Hot)
Vipaka (Post digestive effect) – Katu (Pungent)
Dosha karma (Action on doshas) – Mitigates Vata and Kapha dosha, Aggravates Pitta dosha
Karma (Actions) – It is an appetizer and is anti inflammatory, lipid modulator, etc.
1. Its seeds are a digestive aid and they increase appetite and relieve flatulence. Hence they can be added in diet. One teaspoon of fenugreek seeds in your food can be an effective remedy for acid reflux or heartburn.
2. As an adjunct, 1 tsp of seeds can be daily consumed to get rid of excessive fats in obesity.
3. It is a potent lipid modulator. The seed powder can be taken with warm water daily.
4. In diabetes mellitus, it is used as one of the best adjuvant.
5. The medicated milk prepared from its seeds augments the breast milk in nursing mothers.
6. Fenugreek laddus or balls are made by roasting the seeds in ghee and adding sugar to it. This can be given to nursing mothers since it is an effective galactogogue and also helps in involution of uterus.
1. The poultice of its seed powder relieves pain and swelling in rheumatic joints.
2. The paste of its seeds mixed with honey is applied to the face. It prevents pimples, blackheads, wrinkles and imparts soothing.
3. 2 tbsp of seeds powdered and soaked overnight, used as a hair wash next morning, makes the hair silky and lustrous.
4. The same preparation applied as a paste to the scalp mitigates dandruff.
5. A paste of fresh fenugreek leaves applied over the scalp regularly before washing the hair, also cures dandruff.
6. Gargle with an infusion of its leaves heals the mouth ulcers and cures sore throat.
7. Fenugreek tea alleviates the bad breath (halitosis) and even bad body odor.
Ingredients – Fenugreek leaves – 1 cup, Cooked rice 1 1/2 cup, Tamarind paste 1/2 tea spoon, Coconut – ½ cup grated (optional), Onion – 1 finely chopped
To dry grind – Coriander seeds -1 teaspoon, Chickpeas – 1 tsp, Red chilies – 4
To season – Mustard seeds – 1 tsp, Black gram – 1 tsp, Asafetida – a pinch, Oil – 3 tsp
Procedure – Cook the rice in the usual manner but with adding little ghee so that they do not stick to each other. Transfer the rice to a flat bottom vessel and allow it to cool. Roast the items given in Dry grind. Grind it in a mixer. Keep the fry pan in the stove. Season the items given to season. Add the onions and sauté nicely. Then add the fenugreek leaves and sauté till the water disappears. Add little water and cook for 5 minutes. Then add salt and tamarind paste. After the water dries out add the grinded powder and cook for 2 minutes. Then mix the fenugreek mixture into the rice. Add grated coconut also if desired. Check for the taste and add the salt required. This rice will make a great lunch.