Health Benefits of Ghee
Ghee is a healthiest source of edible fat which is suitable for all age groups. It is sweet and has a nutty flavor. Among the different cooking oils, ghee is considered as the best nourishing substance. References about Ghee can be seen in Rig Veda which makes us understand the importance of ghee in Vedic literature. Ghee has been used since time immemorial and has medicinal benefits in various disorders.
For Skin Health
· Wash the affected part (eczema/psoriasis /urticaria / skin allergies) and do a gentle self-massage with ghee for 5 minutes at bedtime. This is recommended for people having skin problems or dry skin. People suffering from acne or oily skin should avoid it.
· The preparation known as ‘Shatadauta Ghrita’ is made by washing ghee 100 times in water thus enhancing the healing property of ghee. This recipe has a smooth texture and has a butter-like appearance and a pleasant smell. It can be used externally for treating inflamed skin.
· The unctuous property of ghee reduces roughness & dryness of the skin, thus hydrating and softening the skin. Ghee is a natural moisturizer and it increases skin elasticity. The antioxidants present in ghee help in lightening dark spots and rejuvenate the skin. It also helps to reduce dark under-eye circles.
For Mouth Ulcers
· Take one spoon of lukewarm ghee in the mouth and gently swish it for a minute and spit it out. You can rinse with lukewarm water after.
· The Pitta balancing and cooling property of ghee heals mouth ulcers.
· Take one teaspoon of ghee into a cup of lukewarm milk at bedtime.
· The unctuous property of ghee counteracts the dryness in the intestines.
· For bruises and abrasions, apply ghee externally on the affected part. Ghee can be applied on hemorrhoids, fistula and fissures too.
· The anti-inflammatory and cooling property of ghee helps in healing wounds.
For Arthritis/Muscle Pain
· Make a paste with ¼ tsp turmeric powder and 1 tsp ghee. Apply this mixture on the affected part and put a bandage using gauze or cloth. Remove after 2 hours.
· The anti-inflammatory property of turmeric powder and ghee helps in reducing pain.
For Eye health
· Applying one drop of ghee in eyes will help in dry eyes and tired eyes. It will also help to improve vision.
· The unctuous, cooling, anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties of ghee help to counteract dryness, eye irritation and nourish the eyes.
For Dry Cough
· Mix ½ gm of black pepper powder in 1 tsp ghee and take it twice daily.
· Ghee is an excellent transporter of medicinal properties of herbs and spices to the tissues. The efficacy of herbs/spices increases when used with ghee. Ghee being a healthy lipid has lipophilic action thus delivering the therapeutic benefits of the herbs/spices into the cell membrane which is also made up of lipids.
For Metabolic Problems
· Add a teaspoon of warm ghee to a plate of salads or millets and eat for lunch.
· Ghee is heavy to digest, hence curbs hunger and makes one feel fuller for a longer time thus helping to maintain healthy weight.
· Take one teaspoon of medicated ghee with a cup of warm milk or water once or twice daily. Medicated ghee such as Ashwagandha ghrita, Phala ghrita are used for this purpose.
· Daily use of ghee nourishes the reproductive tissue in men and women thereby increasing the chances of conception.
Owing to the growing demands of the fetus, the nutritional requirements during pregnancy increase. Ghee helps in the proper growth and nourishment of the fetus and is essential for the brain development of the fetus. Applying ghee to the nipples helps to reduce cracks in the nipples which occur during breastfeeding.
Author: Vd. Lakshmi Anoop, Consultant Physician & Head of Panchakarma Department