Gargles or Kavala as we call it in Ayurveda plays a major role in the treatment of conditions like mouth ulcers, throat infections, gum bleeding, dryness of throat, cracked lips etc,. But it is to be taken into note that when we talk about Kavala, we surely should talk about Gandusha (Holding of medicated liquids in the mouth to the full capacity) as both these treatments are of similar effect and are mostly given for similar conditions as well. In Ayurveda gargles are even included in the ‘Dinacharya’ (Daily regimens), and doing it daily with prescribed drugs will help you to keep your mouth fresh and healthy. Such six effective herbal gargles are given below;
1. For maintenance of oral hygiene, Tooth sensitivity & Halitosis – Mouth gargle with 1 tsp of sesame oil.
2. Excess salivation – Mouth gargle with warm water frequently.
3. Disorders of gums, Bleeding gums – Mouth gargle with hot infusion of Triphala.
4. Initial stages of Oral Cancer – Mouth gargle with decoction of Panchavalka.
5. Tonsillitis – Mouth gargle with warm water added with curcuma.
6. Stomatitis – Mouth gargle with hot infusion of licorice or purified borax.