Common Name: Cinnamon, Dalchini
Botanical Name: Cinnamon zeylanicum
Sanskrit Name: Tvak
The dried stem bark of cinnamon is used in Garam masala recipes. It is a good antimicrobial and antihelmintic also helps in controlling candida yeast infections. Ayurveda formulations like sitopaladi powder, dadimastak powder, Haridrakand powder contain cinnamon.
• It is Kapha Vata alleviating and pitta increasing due to its hot potency.
• Cinnamon is used as a preservative spice owing to its antimicrobial action.
• It can be used to relieve bad odours.
• It controls the blood sugar level-so helpful in diabetes.
• It is a good antioxidant and is anticancerous.
• It helps in increasing circulation and in turn the metabolism which helps in reducing the body fat.
• Cinnamon was found effective in diarrhea, vomiting, tympanites, colic, abdominal pain, dysmenorrhea, hemorrhage, diabetes, nausea, anorexia, indigestion bronchitis, asthma, cephalegia, flatulence, urinary disorders, fever, etc.