Research studies have shown that stress build-up in our brain can lower our immunity, increases our susceptibility to diseases, increases the levels of blood cholesterol and other lipids, exacerbates pain and increases the risk of death from cardiovascular diseases. Ayurveda advises us to follow Achara Rasayana (Code of good conduct) for a healthy and happy life. Overcoming stress is a way to healthy mental and physical health.
1. Exercise is not only good for physical health, but is also good for recreation and relaxation of mind. It changes the levels of hormones in the blood and may elevate the mood affecting brain chemicals. So find time to do simple exercise daily.
2. Taking short breaks in your hectic day and finding time to relax is very important. Yoga pose Shavasana (corpse pose) is a simple way to relax. Lie down on your back with legs a bit apart and hands making a 15-degree angle with the body. Let each and every muscle of the body be relaxed. Close your eyes and focus your mind on your breathing. This posture can be done for five minutes once or twice a day.
3. Good sleep – A deep and long sleep is necessary. A proper sleep relaxes both body and the mind. It improves mood and recovers the ability of mind to deal with daily stress.
4. Listening to soft music regulates blood pressure, heart rate, & reduces anxiety levels. It is also good to reduce stress & anger.
5. Spending time with family and friends works as a great trauma barrier.
6. Take a break from routine work and spend some time close to nature. Avoid all situations, which are source of stress in the home and office.
7. Replace unnecessary time-consuming chores with pleasurable or interesting activities. Make time for recreation. This is as essential as paying bills or shopping for groceries. Keep on learning something new all the times.