As per Ayurveda the excess passage of fluid per rectum is known as atisaara. The causes or nidanas for atisaara are intake of unwholesome food items, incompatible food, intake of foods prior to proper digestion, food intake in improper times, intake of polluted drinks, improper execution of panchakarma procedures, seasonal changes, stress and suppression of urges.
Pathogenesis of atisaara as per Ayurveda
Vitiated vata dosa attracts aap dhatu (watery contents) and pushes it to the lower part of gastrointestinal tract. This will result in indigestion (depression of digestive fire or agni). Watery content mixes with the stools and starts atisaara, thereby creates emptiness in abdomen.
Ayurvedic management of atisaara or diarrhea
- Sangrahana chikitsa- When the atisaara is caused by undigested food items and ama or toxin is formed then the patient is given laxatives to eliminate the vitiated doshas. Don’t give laxatives in the primary stage (ama stage) of diarrhea. When ama or toxin is there, bowel binding therapies cannot be administered to stop atisaara. That means, diarrhea is allowed to continue without giving any constipative medicines.
- Initially take light and warm food items to correct digestive fire then gradually include thick gruel, vegetable soup and sour appetizer.
- Take pitta pacifying diet like ghee, fennel, turmeric, coriander, cinnamon, basil, bitter and sweet food items. Avoid excessively sour, spicy, salty, hot, fermented food items, alcohol, caffeine etc.
- Take cooked apple by adding ghee and a pinch of cardamom, cinnamon.
- Drink ginger tea. Take more liquids to avoid dehydration.
- Herbal Drugs for atisaara: Vatsaka, Musta, Bilwa, Changeri, Kirata tikta, Candana and Vacha.
We are offering Free Ayurveda Consultation please visit : https://chakrapaniayurveda.com/free-ayurveda-consultation/ for more details.
We are regularly helping patients of different pathologies and complicated diagnosis with Ayurveda panchakarma therapies. Please visit : https://chakrapaniayurveda.com/ayurveda-panchakarma/ for more details.