Those who work for long hours on computer key board are most vulnerable to develop carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS). Symptoms of CTS include pain, numbness, tingling sensation in the thumb and fingers that it supplies. Later results in paralysis and atrophy of thenar muscles.
The primary cause of carpal tunnel syndrome may be continuous, stressful and overuse of hand and wrist joint. This condition is more found in people who are working in IT field, computer users and females in the age of 45-55. We can prevent CTS by following simple remedies.
- Break: Help your hand muscles to relax during continuous usage by taking rest.
- Exercise: Do simple wrist exercises and relax your muscles.
- Reduce force: Using long pen with soft grip.
- Avoid continuous cold exposure: Maintain warmth environment can reduce muscle stiffness.
Exercise that stretches the flexor retinaculum have been developed and prescribed to prevent carpal tunnel syndrome.
- Fan out and oppose the fingers of the two palms. Slowly but with firm pressure bring the two palms together. Move the fingers as far as possible especially the thumb and the little finger with firm pressure. Then press the heel (base) of palms against each other. Raise the palms head wards keeping firm pressure. Slowly bring down the palms downwards as far as possible. Repeat it 5 times.
- Clasp the two palms firmly with firm pressure opposing the heels of the palms. Rub the heels clockwise and anti clockwise keeping the wrist extended. Repeat it 5 times.
- Extend elbow joint and wrist joint. Grab fingers of affected hand with other hand and extend wrist as much as possible. Hold this position for at least 30 seconds and repeat this exercise for 3 times.
- Place one palm on the table. Try to lift the fingers up. Then place other palm across the knuckles and push down. Bottom hand should try to oppose the force. Continue this exercise for 5 minutes.
- Squeeze a rubber ball and hold it for few seconds.
AYURVEDIC MANAGEMENT OF CTS
Sastika sali pinda sweda, Patrapottali pinda sweda, massage with warm oil, Pizhichil, Upanaha (external application) with herbal powders etc. are effective in the management of pain and numbness. Yogaraja guggulu, Trayodashanga guggulu, Dasang tablet, Kaisora guggulu, Sallaki capsule etc, can be used to manage carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS).
We are offering Free Ayurveda Consultation please visit : https://chakrapaniayurveda.com/free-ayurveda-consultation/ for more details.
We are regularly helping patients of different pathologies and complicated diagnosis with Ayurveda panchakarma therapies. Please visit : https://chakrapaniayurveda.com/ayurveda-panchakarma/ for more details.